This Privacy Statement applies solely to the information we collect on this Site, and does not apply to information collected in any other fashion.
Information about Secure Instant Mail Users
When you sign up to use the Secure Instant Mail Service or participate in the Trust Fund Service, you must provide us with certain personal information such as name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, credit card number, etc. We will use this information primarily in connection with efforts to provide electronic mail and transfer of funds from Friends and Families to Detainees. You understand, acknowledge and agree that this information may be shared with Law Enforcement, and that we may use and compile that information as part of our responsibilities to Law Enforcement. As a result, you understand, acknowledge and agree that you will not have any reasonable expectation of privacy concerning the contents of any electronic mail or the transfer of funds using this service.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT:
- Website, including our registration and payment pages. This includes a) credit card sign-up page, e-mail address, your credit card number, your expiration date, your first name, your last name, your address, your city, your state, your zip code, your country, and your agreement to be bound by SECURUS'S terms and conditions; and telephone invoice billing where applicable. b) The name of the person on the account, your agreement to be bound by SECURUS'S terms and conditions. You are obligated to provide SECURUS with accurate and up-to-date information, and failure to provide SECURUS with such information could void any agreement between you and SECURUS.
- Information that we automatically receive: SECURUS receives and stores certain information whenever you send or receive e-mail through our service. For example, SECURUS employs "cookie" technology. We do this so that we can recognize you when you visit our Website. Additionally, we identify the numerical IP address assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT:
If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence and incorporate the information it contains into our database. Information provided by you to open a SECURUS account, such as your name, address, phone number, and credit card information are retained in the SECURUS database. Additional information concerning each transaction, such as the amount of the transaction or Detainee information such as inmate's ID or inmate's last name, are also stored in the SECURUS database.
Every time someone visits our web site a log file is generated on our computer. This contains information such as the user's IP (Internet Protocol) address, how long that user spent on the site, and which pages of the Web site they visited. We collect this information to help us diagnose problems and administer our systems, to report aggregate information to our advertisers, and to audit the use of our site (e.g. what part of the world users are connecting from, or what ISPs are being used).
We do not normally link IP addresses to anything personally identifiable, which means that you remain anonymous even though we include your IP address in our aggregate information. However, we can and will attempt to use IP addresses to identify a user when we feel it is necessary to enforce compliance with our Agreement with you or to protect our services and other users and respond to Law Enforcement. We also reserve the right to disclose your personally identifiable information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on our Web site.
Use and disclosure of Information
The personal information collected also allows us to provide users with private and secure areas to prepare a profile for their use in obtaining or transmitting electronic communications pursuant to Secure Instant Mail or conveying funds pursuant to Trust Fund Service You can correct or update your profile at any time by logging into the site using your username and password in order to implement such corrections or updates. Profiles remain active and online in our database indefinitely.
In order to protect all our customers from potential fraud, we verify the information you provide us with third parties. The verification process allows SECURUS to collect specific information about you in order to safeguard your personal information and any information related to a transaction. In particular, if you register a bank card with SECURUS, we will use card authorization and fraud screening services to verify that your card information and address matches the information that you supplied to SECURUS, and that the card has not been lost or stolen. Detainee information provided to us is validated against the appropriate prison inmate's database.
SECURUS shares information with companies that help us process transactions such as credit card processors. SECURUS may also disclose information that we in good faith believe is necessary to investigate fraud or illegal activity, or to conduct investigations of violations of our Agreement. SECURUS will disclose information requested by a regulatory or government authority investigating illegal activities. Similarly, we will disclose your personal information whereby our company or business assets are transferred to a third party or if we are compelled to do so by law.
HOW WE PROTECT INFORMATION
SECURUS takes appropriate precautions to protect your information subject to its extensive review by Law Enforcement. We employ physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect such information against unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. SECURUS continually reviews and enhances its security system.
There are areas of our website where you may be asked to transmit credit card information in order to complete a purchase transaction or for verification purposes. Any time we ask for a credit card number, it will be transmitted in an encrypted format using industry-standard, SSL (secure socket layer) encryption.
HOW YOU CAN HELP US PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
Remember to close your browser window when you have finished your work. This is to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or from our online products or services, and you do so at your own risk.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION TO OTHERS
We do not disclose information collected on this Site to third parties except as set forth in the following five paragraphs:
Protection of SECURUS and third parties
- As discussed above, we will disclose all of this information to Law Enforcement.
- We may disclose such information to other third parties if you consent to such disclosure;
- We may disclose such information if legally required to do so, if requested to do so by a governmental entity or if we believe in good faith that such action is necessary to: (a) prevent fraud or other improper actions by Detainees or others; (b) conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process; (c) protect the rights or property of SECURUS and/or any of its affiliates or partners; (d) prevent a crime or protect national security; or (e) protect the personal safety of users or the public.
- We may disclose and transfer such information to a third party who acquires all or a substantial portion of SECURUS'S business, whether such acquisition is by way of merger, consolidation or purchase of all or a substantial portion of our assets. In addition, in the event SECURUS becomes the subject of a bankruptcy proceeding, whether voluntary or involuntary, SECURUS or its trustee in bankruptcy may sell, license or otherwise dispose of such information in a transaction approved by the bankruptcy court.
- We reserve the right to use the information input into this Site in our ongoing efforts to support Law Enforcement as described above.
SECURUS will release data when we believe the release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our Agreement, and maintain our obligations under the contracts we have with correctional facilities that allow us to make it possible for you to send and receive communications with a Detainee and to transfer funds to such Detainee. SECURUS provides the correctional facilities with the name and address of all subscribers to our service that are authorized to send electronic communications to that correctional facility, and the identity of the inmate with whom you are authorized to communicate, and we alert the correctional facility each time you send an email and each time the inmate sends an email to you.
SECURITY WE EMPLOY TO PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
A. SECURUS utilizes Secure Socket Layer (SSL) software when receiving and transmitting electronic payments. SECURUS encrypts the information you provide. SECURUS reveals only the last five digits of your credit card numbers when processing your transaction internally, and we reveal the entire number when communicating on a private dedicated line of communication with our acquiring bank. Additionally, SECURUS employs the following security measures:
SECURUS employs a username password scheme in order to limit and archive access to its computer network by its employees, and third parties.
SECURUS'S facility utilizes automatic locking doors that require a special security card for entry
UPDATING YOUR INFORMATION
Reviewing, correcting, updating or changing your account profile information is available to you at any time. Simply log into your account, review your account information and, if you wish, edit it with the options provided.
We do not use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Web site.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
The contents of all Secure Instant Mail and the transfer information relative to Trust Fund Service will be reviewed by personnel at the Facility. Therefore this information will be disclosed in the manner set forth above. Therefore, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information or communications to be private. As a user of the Site, you understand and agree that you assume all responsibility and risk for your use of the Site, the Internet generally, and for your conduct on and off the Site.
PRIVACY COMMITMENT CHANGES
If you have questions or concerns regarding this statement, you should first contact our Legal Department by phone 972-277-0300.